• Welcome to Rugby League Project Forums.

News:

Welcome to Rugby League Project's Forums. We invite all who are interested to join, be friendly and enjoy!

Main Menu

Round 15 1982 Parramatta V Canterbury

Started by Ted Baxter, 04 December, 2022, 10:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Baxter

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nswrfl-1982/round-15/parramatta-vs-canterbury/summary.html

Ch7 Man of the Match: Steve Mullen

Goals: Parra: Cronin 7/7, CB: S.Gearin 5/5, but it should be noted that Rex said at one stage Gearin was 4 from 5 but the missed goal was not shown & they usually showed the missed goals. Was this a correct statement or did Rex get it wrong?

Source: DVD of the game (46 mins)

ontheburst

Ted Baxter

Quote from: ontheburst on 27 December, 2022, 11:15:39 AMDo you have RLW from that time?
Yes, I have every issue. I have since checked RLW, Big League, SMH & Canberra Times but none have listed the goal attempts for Gearin in that match.

ontheburst

From memory there was a scoreboard with the ladder, tryscorers, best hookers, pointscorers and goalkickers. Think it may have been sponsored by Cleanaway. Anyhow on this scoreboard which is located on the page with the games I think the goalkickers shows goals kicked from the attempts taken with a percentage.

Hopefully it is there or my memory has become foggy. Sorry would check my RLW however I have put them in storage.

Ted Baxter

Quote from: ontheburst on 01 January, 2023, 08:31:27 AMFrom memory there was a scoreboard with the ladder, tryscorers, best hookers, pointscorers and goalkickers. Think it may have been sponsored by Cleanaway. Anyhow on this scoreboard which is located on the page with the games I think the goalkickers shows goals kicked from the attempts taken with a percentage.

Hopefully it is there or my memory has become foggy. Sorry would check my RLW however I have put them in storage.
You are correct, but it shows the top 10 goal kickers. Cronin is there but Gearin wasn't. When I checked the RLW yesterday, I saw that table & thought the same thing only for Gearin to have missed a few games & Armstrong was kicking the goals in his absence, which prevented him from being in the top 10 to that point.

ontheburst

Quote from: Ted Baxter on 01 January, 2023, 11:52:23 PMYou are correct, but it shows the top 10 goal kickers. Cronin is there but Gearin wasn't. When I checked the RLW yesterday, I saw that table & thought the same thing only for Gearin to have missed a few games & Armstrong was kicking the goals in his absence, which prevented him from being in the top 10 to that point.

Great, my mind isn't going foggy. This one has got me curious. I watched the Sevens Big League game again, you probably have the same version.

What I found was that this missed goal by Gearin would have happened in the first 8mins of the match.

Mossop mentions in the telecast that 8mins have been played then 30secs later gives the penalty and scrum count. The penalty count is 2-1 to Canterbury.

Then after a further 2mins of match footage Folkes scores.  Mossop says 11mins have gone as Gearin completes his kick from in front.

The actual try could have been scored at the 10th min as we don't see Gearin setting up the kick.

As the players come off for half time Mossop says Gearin had kicked 3 from 3 then corrects himself and says 4.

According to SMH and Big League the penalty count was 16-8 to Parramatta. During the telecast we see 6 of the penalties which were awarded to Canterbury.

So it could be fair to say it is possible that the first two penalties could have resulted in Gearin having one shot at goal and this would have occured in those first 8mins of which we see only 4mins of game footage on the telecast.

It is very likely it may have been edited out as it was an exciting game which had two 7pt tries awarded and 12 goals kicked.