• Welcome to Rugby League Project Forums.

News:

Welcome to Rugby League Project's Forums. We invite all who are interested to join, be friendly and enjoy!

Main Menu

Canterbury v Penrith Belmore Sports Ground April 26, 1970

Started by Paul Carter, 30 January, 2023, 02:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Carter

I just thought I would let you know. In the game between Canterbury and Penrith at Belmore Sports Ground on April 26, 1970.
-That Canterbury Lead 12-5 at Halftime.
-The Scrums were 15-14 Penrith's way.
-The Penalties were 12-9 Canterbury's way.
-Canterbury Player Terry Reynolds. Penrith Player David Applebee. Were both Sent Off.
-Gary Harvey Kicked 1 Goal From 6 Attempts.
These are the Teams from that game.
Canterbury: Peter Inskip, Peter Van Gulik, Alan Burwell, Ray Strudwick, Tony Brenton, Dennis Scahill, Terry Reynolds, Lock: Ron Raper (Captain), Second-Row: Neville Hornery, Ron Costello, Front-Row: Norm Thomas, Bill Noonan, Hooker: Col Brown. Bench: Bruce Conneeley, Denis Beeby.
-Conneeley Wore No. 20. Beeby Wore No. 37. When they both came off the Bench for Canterbury in that game.
Penrith: Phil Franks, Paul Gibson, Ern Gillon, David Applebee, Reg Hatton, Grahame Moran, Laurie Fagan, Lock: Phil Kliendienst, Second-Row: Gary Harvey, Rod Elliott, Front-Row: Terry Geary, Bob Boland (Captain), Hooker: Alan Wingate.
-Gibson Wore No. 15. Hatton Wore No. 5. When they both played Winger for Penrith in this game.
-Gillon Wore No. 3. Applebee Wore No. 6. When they both played Centre for Penrith in that game.
-Moran Wore No. 4. When he played Five-Eigth for Penrith in that game.
-Also refer to roofromoz post from August 8, 2021. In regards to Starting Time from this game as well.

Ted Baxter

Reynolds was suspended for 2 games & Applebee 3 games.

Just curious, where did you get this information? It may help my own research.

Paul Carter

It is from reading all the match reports of the microfilm of the Daily Mirror, Daily Telegraph, The Sun, Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian at the State Library in Sydney. As well as going through Rugby League Week. I do also go through Big League in the years they had more information. I do go through the Rugby League News. Even though some years that was not a huge amount of information on club games. Even though they do tell you some things that other publications do not tell you. While this particular game was not a Saturday game. I do also look at the microfilm of the Sunday Telegraph, Sunday Mirror and Sun-Herald if the game was a Saturday game at the State Library as well. While this is 1970. I did also discover a while back. That the Australian had a Sunday Paper in 1971 and 1972 as well. I do also watch old games that come up on YouTube. Even though I have not seen any from 1970 come up.