• Welcome to Rugby League Project Forums.

News:

Welcome to Rugby League Project's Forums. We invite all who are interested to join, be friendly and enjoy!

Main Menu

Marjoribanks ("Banks") family

Started by Max Turner, 01 November, 2023, 09:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Turner

This family all played under the surname Banks, but their surname was Marjoribanks.

- R Marjoribanks was Bob Banks. He was born 12 December 1903 in Uphall, West Lothian, Scotland, and died on 23 March 1972. His full name was Robert Marjoribanks.
- H Marjoribanks was Hugh Banks. He was born in 1907 in Uphall, Scotland, and died in 1994. His full name was Hugh Orr Lynch Marjoribanks. The 1938 NSW Country Seconds appearance currently attributed to R Marjoribanks was actually Hugh. Also just a short note to tie things together: Father of NSW first-class cricketer Hugh Marjoribanks.
- Ken Banks was born 18 May 1917 in Wickham, Newcastle, NSW, and died in 1999. His full name was John McKenzie Boyd Marjoribanks.
- H Banks was Horace Banks. He was born 28 April 1920 in Wickham, NSW, and died in 2008. His full name was Horace Douglas Sidney Marjoribanks.
- The aforementioned Bob, Hugh, Ken, and Horace Banks were brothers.

The next generation included:
- Bob Banks (Australia, Queensland, Toowoomba, Newcastle in 1955 ect.)'s full name was Robert Barry Marjoribanks. He was also known as Barry. He was the nephew of Hugh, Ken, and Horace Banks.
- Bob Banks (Newcastle teams 1950s) was born in 1930 in Mackay, Queensland, and died in 2003. His full name was Robert Alexander Marjoribanks. He was the son of Hugh Banks, nephew of Ken, Horace and the older Bob Banks.
- The two Bob Banks of this generation were cousins.
- Gary Banks' full name was Gary Marjoribanks. He is said to be a cousin of the Kangaroo Bob Banks, but I don't know the exact connection to the rest of the family (i.e. is Gary's father Hugh, Ken, Horace, or someone else?)

GregRLP

I have updated the Marjoribanks note that I have kept Marjoribanks as the playing name of Bob Snr & Hugh as they do appear in programs with the Marjoribanks surname the rest of the family only seem to appear as Banks. So that they all appear in searches for both Marjoribanks & Banks I have made a note an all 7 regarding the surname and completed all the family links.