• Welcome to Rugby League Project Forums.

News:

Welcome to Rugby League Project's Forums. We invite all who are interested to join, be friendly and enjoy!

Main Menu

2 Manly Numbers v Parramatta Sydney Sports Ground April 21, 1968

Started by Paul Carter, 10 March, 2024, 09:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Carter

Sorry to point this out. I notice for the game between Manly and Parramatta at the Sydney Sports Ground on April 21, 1968.
-For Manly. You have John Morgan Wearing No. 26. Norm Pounder Wearing No. 23.
-Morgan Wore No. 10. Pounder Wore No. 9. When they both played Second-Row for Manly in that game.
-Morgan and Pounder were listed to Wear those Numbers. That you have them Wearing for this game. In the Rugby League News Programme for this game. Issue No. 12. Volume. 49 1968.
-However I just watched edited highlights of this game on https://ww.youtube.com/   Which was uploaded by Rugby League & Eagle Eric under the title 1968 Manly v Parramatta Rd 4  Where I noticed both Morgan and Pounder both Wearing those Numbers I have mentioned.

GregRLP

Thanks Paul I have updated, I always have doubts when putting the numbers the players have in the programme when they are replacements either before or during the game as there is no way of knowing that they actual wore that number in the game unless there is video of the game. But I suppose it is the only reference we have so until video proves otherwise we can only use what we have.

Paul Carter

As I understand in particular with games pre 1985. In years we're the lower grades we're not numbered the same as first grade. I understand some clubs would stick to what was listed on the Rugby League News/Big League programme. I also understand. There were some clubs if players were a late replacement. Would just have them wear the number the player they were replacing was going to wear. I also understand. Some players when they would come in first grade. Would sometimes come on in another number they were not listed to Wear in the Rugby League News/Big League Programme.
-Whenever I have posted to Rugby League Project over the years about Numbers players have Worn in games. While in particular. Numbers players Wore in games post 1985. More than likely are correct. If If I have the chance to look at footage of a game. I will watch the footage of the game before I post. Because there have also been a couple of games post 1985. Where a player has not Worn a Number they were listed to Wear in the Big League Programne.