• Welcome to Rugby League Project Forums.

News:

Welcome to Rugby League Project's Forums. We invite all who are interested to join, be friendly and enjoy!

Main Menu

1930s St George players details

Started by Max Turner, 10 October, 2023, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Turner

- S Bradshaw was Stan Bradshaw. He was born 4 July 1911 in Newtown and died on 23 December 1950. His full name was Stanley Bradshaw.
- Percy Fairall was born in Brisbane.
- Tom Hayward was born in Tweed Heads, NSW.
- Jim Flower was born 16 November 1907 in Kogarah, and died on 16 December 1979. His full name was James Harold Flower.
- Harry Flower was born in Newtown.
- Kangaroo Fred Gardner is the father of the Fred Gardner who played for St George in 1955.
- The 1935 St George appearance attributed to Jack Gray-Spence was actually Jim Gray-Spence. (Jack was a winger, and Jim was a hooker).
- Jack Gray-Spence (Easts, University) was born 9 February 1910 in Sydney, and died 5 May 1992. His full name was John Alfred Gray-Spence. (Jack was also with St George but evidently did not play first grade)
- Jim Gray-Spence (St George) was born 5 April 1912 in Sydney, and died 24 October 1937. His full name was James Fordyce Gray-Spence. Jack and Jim were brothers.
- H Hodgson was Harry Hodgson. His nickname was Snowy.
- Bill McGrath was born 17 May 1913 in Kempsey, and died 3 July 1998. His full name was William Clement McGrath.
- Ken Murray should be Keith. He was born 17 February 1915 in Ashfield, NSW. His full name was Keith Anderson Murray.
- Stan Robinson was born in Brisbane, Qld.
- Minor correction but I think Bill Summerell's nickname should be Monk, not Monka.
- Pat White was known as Pat, or his nickname Sonny, but his real name was Philip White. He was born 26 April 1913 in Tea Gardens, near Newcastle, NSW, and died on 6 June 1986.
- Jack Simpson (St George) was born 21 January 1917. His full name was Byron John Joseph Simpson.
- Mat Ryan (St George, NSW rep teams) was born 21 May 1913 in Albury, and died 29 October 1994. His full name was Matthew Ryan. He was the brother of Bill Ryan (St George, Wests, Ipswich).
- Bill Ryan (St George, Wests, Ipswich) was born 20 July 1911 in Albury, and died 9 July 1994. His full name was William Joseph Ryan. His nickname was Bricky or Hoot. EDIT: Perhaps something to note on Bill Ryan's profile is that the Daily Advertiser newspaper of Wagga Wagga (1) erroneously reported that Bill had died in New Guinea in 1942. It was in fact Newtown centre Bill Ryan who tragically died in those circumstances. They both had the same full name which probably contributed the error.
- Not a St George player, but to distinguish the two men: William Ryan (Newtown 1941) was known as Bill. He was born 24 September 1919 in Petersham, NSW. He was the brother of Bruce Ryan. His full name was William Joseph Ryan Jnr. (No relation to Bill or Mat above)

Max Turner

- Eric McCormack was born in 1905 in Kalgoorlie, WA, and died on 3 June 1997. His full name was Eric Roland McCormack.
- Eric was the brother of Jack McCormack, who played as a fullback for St George and several rep teams between 1927 and 1932. Jack's games are currently listed on the profile of Jim McCormack who later played as a forward for Souths and Canterbury.
- Jack McCormack was born in 1903 in Northcote, in Melbourne, Victoria, and died on 16 July 1996. His full name was John Charles McCormack.
- Jim McCormack was born on 8 December 1909 in Barraba, NSW, and died on 13 June 1969. His full name was James Thomas McCormack. He was not related to Eric and Jack.
- NB: The DOB currently listed on Jim's profile, 25 June 1904, is attributed to Jack on Wikipedia. It's definitely not Jim's DOB, but it may or may not be Jack's DOB (I can't check due to how the Victoria Birth Index website functions without buying the birth record). Jack was definitely born in 1903 not 1904 though.

GregRLP

I have updated all these and fixed the Spence-Gray brothers & Jack McCormack now has his own profile separate from Jim McCormack.

Ted Baxter

I can confirm Harry Hodgson see attached RL News V16 N18 p21

I had Ken Murray see attached RL News V16 N19 p21

GregRLP

Thanks Ted so @Max Turner are you able to advise on Mr Murray?

Max Turner

Thanks for posting these Ted. I referred to the following articles about K Murray:
  • 1936 Mar 27, Labor Daily: Keith Murray applying to be readmitted to RU after playing the latter half of 1935 for St George RL as an amateur
  • 1937 Mar 22, Labor Daily: Keith Murray joined St George RL (again) from Randwick RU
  • 1937 Apr 7, Maitland Daily Mercury: K. Murray playing for Maitland RL after recently leaving St George RL
  • 1938 Mar 30, Labor Daily: Keith Murray applying to be readmitted to RU (again). Article says he played for Randwick RU (1933-34), St George RL (1935), Randwick RU (1936), and then West Maitland RL (1937)
  • 1940 Mar 6, Daily News: Keith Murray joined South Sydney RL from RU, mentioned to have previously played RL for St George
  • 1941 May 8, The Propeller: South Sydney's Keith Murray mentioned to have previously played for Randwick RU and St George RL. Mentioned as a member of the RAAF (his service file can be found here)

I have found two passing mentions of the name Ken Murray in newspaper articles, both in 1935. One was playing for Randwick RU, and the other later on for St George RL. There's no obvious indication that 'Ken' was a nickname, but because it appears multiples times, it might be fair to conclude it was not an error. What do you think?

I can't find a death date for Keith so hopefully that turns up eventually!

Ted Baxter

Good research there. I think it is more than likely Keith & that a reporter got it wrong which was then carried over to Rugby League News.

A list of Randwick RU players you can download from here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1E9mvuM7rUU1izJMjs2rDgDR4s8WqJQiW (Randwick m.pdf)
says the player who played for Randwick was Keith. No Ken Murray

St.George also has it listed as Keith:

https://stgeorgedragons.com.au/player/keith-murray/

South Sydney Almanac has Keith as well

Also this article saying that he was approved in being re-admitted to the rugby union ranks.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/237784724?searchTerm=%22keith%20murray%22

https://www.ssralmanac.com/mobile/players_m/player_murray_keith.htm

To me, there seems to be far more evidence that it is Keith rather than Ken.

GregRLP

There does not seem to be any other K Murray who played with Randwick over this period there was a J Murray who was a forward who played in 1934, K Murray seemed to have played reserve grade in 1934 then 1st grade in 1935 and that he moved to League in Aug. In 1935 as a Rugby Union player he seems to be referred to as Ken never Keith except this article in the Sporting Globe 1935 Jun 19. It was only the RLN article that refers to him as Ken following his move to League

So I think as a new player he was initially thought to be Ken then when he made the switch to Rugby League it was realised his name was Keith so I agree Ted he is Keith.