News:

Welcome to Rugby League Project's Forums. We invite all who are interested to join, be friendly and enjoy!

Main Menu

1935 Newtown players

Started by Max Turner, 20 March, 2024, 11:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Turner

- John Alleyne was born in Glebe, NSW. His nickname was Jack, and his full name was John Placid Alleyne. He was also a first-class cricketer for NSW.
- W Curry was known as Bill Curry.
- Jack Davies (Newtown) was born on 8 September 1909 in St Peters, NSW, and died on 5 September 1984. His full name was Jack Longridge Minister Davies. His brother was Hylton Davies.
- Allan Ellis' birthdate should be 16 November 1908.
- Keith Ellis' birthdate should be 6 June 1905.
- Joe Gartner was born in Marrickville, NSW. His full name was Joseph Samuel Gartner.
- Les Hession was born on 29 January 1909 in Milton, NSW, and died on 28 July 1955. His full name was Leslie Elvin Hession.
- Frank Hurley was born on 7 June 1915 in Paddington, NSW, and died on 31 May 1992. His full name was Francis Clyde Lamond Hurley.
- Gordon McLennan was actually born on 30 January 1914 in Hay, NSW. His full name was Gordon Douglas McLennan.
- Aub Oxford was born on 31 October 1914 in Rockdale, NSW. His full name was Aubrey Oxford.
- Alf Spring was born on 13 May 1911 in Sydenham, NSW, and died on 7 November 1988. His full name was Alfred Walter James Spring.
- Clarrie Stevenson was born on 11 December 1909 in Waterloo, NSW, and died on 28 May 1984. His full name was Clarence Stevenson.
- Merv Whale was born on 1 March 1916 in Gulgong, NSW, and died on 16 April 1979. His full name was Mervyn Dudley Whale.

GregRLP

Interesting that some of the birthdays we had were so far out looks like Wikipedia at work again.

I have now updated all of these.👌

Max Turner

Some more Newtown players from a few years prior:

- Ernest Cadman should be Eddie Cadman (see here and here). Born 2 July 1909 in St Peters, NSW, died 4 January 1955. Full name was Edward Robert Cadman.
- Eddie was the father of Leo Cadman, who should actually be Les Cadman. Les' full name was Raymond Leslie Cadman, and he died on 18 July 2014.

- Jack McReavie: born 12 August 1911 in Sydney, NSW, died 19 September 1998. Full name was John McReavie.
- Roy Parkinson: born 6 June 1908 in Camperdown, NSW (not 1909), died 27 June 1972. Full name was Roy Allen Parkinson.
- Stan Waterson: born 19 September 1910 in Glebe, NSW, died 5 December 1988. Full name was Stanley Thomas Waterson.

- Eric Mork: born 13 October 1912 in Carlton, Victoria, and died on 17 June 1991.
- Hans Mork: born in 1909 in Cape Town, South Africa, and died on 22 January 1960. Full name was Hans Eric Mork.
- Hans Mork is similar to Robert Grotte in that I can't find his birthday to disprove the one listed on Wikipedia, but there is probably good reason to doubt Wikipedia for this.
- Charlie Mork: born 1906 in South Africa, and died on 3 August 1986. Full name was Carl Frederick Mork.
- Eric, Hans, and Charlie Mork were brothers.

GregRLP

Thanks Max these are all updated.

Max Turner

Some more:

- Lou Boyd (Newtown), L Boyd (NSW Country, Newcastle, ect), L Boyd (New England), L Boyd (Newcastle) all appear to be the same person. I think his name should be Lew Boyd, although lots of newspaper called him Lou.
- Note the Newtown profile 'Lou Boyd' contains the bio from Alan Whiticker.
- He earned rep selection while playing in Scone, Newcastle, and Kempsey in various stints. I think the reason the 'L Boyd' profiles were separated was because he played in different positions in different periods.
- His details are: born 22 April 1909 in Scone NSW, and died on 22 June 1978. Full name was Lewis Boyd, nickname was Streaker.

- Charlie Brown: born 12 July 1911 in Berry NSW, died 21 August 1990. Full name Charles Ernest Brown, nickname was Tiddles.
- Jack Danzey (the elder)'s DOB should be 8 March 1917. Born in Newtown NSW, died 26 July 2004. Full name John Joseph Danzey.
- Alf Griffiths should be Arthur Griffths (see here and here): born 30 October 1912 in Hurlstone Park NSW, died 2 August 1945. Full name Arthur Norman Griffiths.
- Harry Hamilton: born 15 December 1908 in Waterloo NSW, died 31 March 1976. Full name Harry Thomas Graham Hamilton.
- Jack Huxley: born 15 August 1912 in Sydney NSW, died 1 September 1985. Full name Jack Lindsay Huxley. He was the brother-in-law of Arch Crippin.
- Henry Porter: born in Dungog NSW. Death should be 5 February 1990. Full name Rupert Henry Porter.

- Billy Sands: born 17 November 1917 in Cargo (Canowindra) NSW, died 30 December 1976. Full name Henry William Sands.
- Keith Sands: born 27 November 1915 in Orange NSW, died 24 July 2001. Full name Joseph Keith Sands.
- Jimmy Sands: born 20 March 1919 in Cargo (Canowindra) NSW, died 6 November 1945. Full name James Lynn Sands.
- Jimmy served in WWII under the alias Larry James Kelly and was a POW for four years after being captured in Greece in May 1941. He returned to Australia in August 1945, and tragically died in a car accident in Melbourne just three months later.
- Billy, Keith, and Jimmy Sands were brothers.

- Just a comment from a research perspective for posterity: I'm not sure why he enlisted under an alias, but his service file makes it clear it's him. The birthday is the same (although he has changed the year to 1917), and his next of kin was Elsie Sands (his mother) and H Sands (his wife Hazel). He was under the age of 21 upon enlistment so makes sense why he lied about his age, but that would've been fairly common so doesn't really explain the alias in my opinion. His funeral notice uses his real name but also references the alias.

- Athol Stewart: born in Bombala NSW, died 7 June 2001. Full name Athol Neville Stewart.
- Jack Thornton: born 14 August 1905 in Newtown NSW, died 4 October 1996. Full name John Phillip Thornton, nickname was Bluey.

GregRLP

Thanks again Max great research.

I have updated all I have fixed Lew Boyd and consolidated the 4 entries to one, I have also included your comments on Jimmy Sands.