News:

Welcome to Rugby League Project's Forums. We invite all who are interested to join, be friendly and enjoy!

Main Menu

Frank Collins

Started by GregRLP, 18 June, 2024, 12:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregRLP

Looking for info on ex North Sydney player Frank Collins(1942-45).

I'm loading NZ tour games and an article in the NZ Herald for the Auckland v England game on 12/8/1946 states that F Collins an ex-Sydney player was making his first appearance for Auckland another news wire article states that Frank Collins was the best back on the field.

Was Frank a New Zealander who came Sydney and then returned home or did he move there after the war or is it not the same person also noting his son Frank Jnr. played with Norths so there maybe some connection to the North Sydney district.

Max Turner

It looks like the short answer is yes, it's the same person. Frank moved to Auckland in 1946, having been "recently discharged from the services" that article says. Another article mentions the Navy in particular. He returned to Sydney in 1949.

Here's his Navy service record. He also has service records with the Army and the Air Force from WWII!

Note that Frank played for Balmain as a guest player during their 1947 tour of NZ.

Frank's details are: born 18 June 1917 in Waverley NSW. Full name was Frank Leslie Collins

Frank served with the Army from February 1941 to November 1942, until being discharged to join the Air Force. He was, however, deemed not suited to the Air Force and discharged in February 1943. He then served with the Navy from March 1943 until October 1945.

Frank was also the father of the Gary Collins who played for Manly. Gary's DOB should be 15 November 1949 and his full name was Gary Trevor Collins (per his grave). The DOB currently listed for him (7 October 1945) is completely different so I don't know who it belongs to or where it came from. Note that Gary Collins from Maitland is a different person, which Alan Whiticker seems to have made an error on.

GregRLP

Great thanks Max I knew I could rely on you for the answer.

I'll update his details and the family links.