• Welcome to Rugby League Project Forums.

News:

Welcome to Rugby League Project's Forums. We invite all who are interested to join, be friendly and enjoy!

Main Menu

Round 3 Craven Mild Cup 1978 Canterbury V Penrith

Started by Ted Baxter, 10 December, 2023, 12:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Baxter

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/competitions/craven-mild-cup-1978/game-3/canterbury-vs-penrith/summary.html

Very limited information on games here, but here's what I can add for this one using newspapers & The Canterbury Annual Report.

Round 3 Canterbury V Penrith                                 Saturday March 11 1978 (8pm)
Canterbury 15 (Ryan, Cutler, M.Hughes tries, M.Hughes 2, Cutler goals) d Penrith 2 (Hindmarsh goal) at Belmore Sports Ground. Scrums: Canterbury 10-9. Penalties: Canterbury 10-6. Crowd: 7,506. Referee – Denis Braybrook.

Teams
Canterbury: 1. Greg Brentnall, 2. Mick Ryan, 3. Greg Mullane, 4. Mark Hughes, 5. Peter Mortimer, 6. Tim Pickup, 7. Steve Mortimer, 8. Peter Cassilles, 9. Steve Hage, 10. Geoff Robinson, 11. John Coveney, 12. George Peponis (c), 13. Bill Noonan. Repl.  15. Stan Cutler, 16. Phil Charlton.

Penrith: 1. Kevin Dann, 2. Garry Allsopp, 3. Gary Pethybridge, 4. Ross Gigg, 5. Russell Mullins, 6. Jim Hindmarsh, 7. Terry Wickey, 8. Phil Gould, 9. Paul Merlo, 10. Tim Sheens, 11. Ross Cale, 12. Mike Stephenson (c), 13. Kent Lambert. Repl. Greg Moore

I can confirm all the above players played in the game except for Allsopp, Gigg, Gould, Merlo & Sheens (Pen). There may have been another replacement for Penrith, but I couldn't find any evidence.

GregRLP

The Sun Herald reports that Geoff Robinson replaced Steve Hage when he went off and that Phil Charlton at prop was in fine form so I suspect that Charlton & Hage come into the team when Gary Stevens pulled out with Robinson moving to the bench and John Coveney to 2nd row. Daily Mirror also indicates that Charlton was prop for the entire match.

Ted Baxter

Agreed. But is this the article that says Charlton played the whole game?

GregRLP

Yes, the language used would indicate he started the game normally if they highlight a players performance they mostly indicate if he was a replacement at some point or not in the match which they don't, the Sun Herald used similar language in their praise of Charlton.