News:

Welcome to Rugby League Project's Forums. We invite all who are interested to join, be friendly and enjoy!

Main Menu

Fred Dodd and Reuben Dodds details

Started by Max Turner, 24 June, 2024, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Turner

All of the games on the profile Sinclair Dodds appear to have been either Fred Dodd or Reuben Dodds. I can't find any games that actually should be attributed to a Sinclair Dodds. I'm not sure where this name originated.

The 1920-22 Newcastle and NSW Country player was Fred Dodd (sometimes misreported as Dodds). 1920 Country Week and Country squad, 1920 vs England, 1922 vs Ipswich, 1922 vs Country. Fred's details are: born 2 September 1895 in Newcastle, NSW, died 20 March 1983. Full name was Frederick John Dodd.

The 1924 Victoria player was Reuben Dodds. His details are: born 9 April 1900 in Invercargill, NZ, died 22 July 1983. Full name was Reuben Fraser Dodds.

GregRLP

Not sure where the name Sinclair came from but my original spreadsheets identified S Dodds as playing for Newcastle and Country in June 1920 that is because most newspapers both Sydney & Newcastle list S Dodds for the country week games & RLN also lists the Country 5/8 as S Dodds for the Metropolis v Country match.

The game on 28 Aug 1920 against England I identified as F Dodds as well as the 1922 games so I'm happy all these are Fred Dodd as there is no consistency in any of the newspapers some say F some say S.

No problem with Reuben Dodds in the Victorian team in 1924 again lots of inconstancy with the name in the newspapers some have S some F but also found one referring to R.F.Dodds.

I've made these changes and update all the details.