• Welcome to Rugby League Project Forums.

News:

Welcome to Rugby League Project's Forums. We invite all who are interested to join, be friendly and enjoy!

Main Menu

Matich brothers

Started by Max Turner, 01 November, 2023, 10:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Turner

- G Matich was George Matich. He was born 29 November 1886 in Sydney, NSW, and died on 21 June 1918. His full name was simply George Matich (I think the middle initial 'J' listed on the site is a confusion with Joe).
- George served with the 3rd Battalion during WWI. He died of wounds on 21st of June in 1918 and was buried in Longuenesse (St. Omer) Souvenir Cemetery, France.
- J Matich was Joe Matich. He was born 5 March 1891 in Newcastle, NSW, and died on 20 January 1980. His full name was Joseph Leo Matich.
- George and Joe were brothers.

The following appearances are currently attributed to George Matich, but by my searches, they should be Joe Matich:
- Hunter vs Northern Division (3 June 1911)
- Hunter vs Newcastle (29 July 1911)
- Northern Divison vs Queensland (5 August 1911)
- Northern Divison vs Queensland (9 August 1911)
- Northern Division vs Queensland (12 August 1911)
- Hunter & Northern vs Metropolis (22 August 1911)
- Hunter & Northern vs Australasia II (13 April 1912)
- NSW Country vs Metropolis (3 June 1912)
- NSW Country vs Metropolis (24 June 1912)

For the Hunter vs Northern Division (1 June 1912) match, Hunter forwards were reported as: J King, G Matich, R Long, B Garraty, D Russell, and J Matich. These 6 players are all listed on the site for this game, but they appear to be in the wrong order.

GregRLP

Hi Max,

This is good info thanks and I can see that for all but the 3 June 1911 game it should be Joe & not George I dare say copy & paste errors but for 3 June 1911 the game is detailed in The Evening News, The Sun & The Referee all show G Matich in the 2nd row can you advise your source for this.

I'll fix these over the weekend. Thanks again.

GregRLP

I have now fixed these games with the exception of 3 June 1911 which I have left at George Matich and updated the brothers details.

Please let me know your source for the 3 June game.

Max Turner

Quote from: rlprogman on 02 November, 2023, 11:24:00 PMThis is good info thanks and I can see that for all but the 3 June 1911 game it should be Joe & not George I dare say copy & paste errors but for 3 June 1911 the game is detailed in The Evening News, The Sun & The Referee all show G Matich in the 2nd row can you advise your source for this.

Ah, my apologies. I was going off the Newcastle Morning Herald which announced on 22 May 1911 that J Matich had been selected in the squad for the 3 June 1911 game. Only as I look at this again, I realise I missed that G Matich was also included in that squad. You are right that all subsequent reporting lists George as playing in that game. Good catch! :)

(Also, I know the website doesn't always update straight away, but I can see Joe's details all now on the site except his birthplace of Newcastle. Should that be showing?)

GregRLP

OK that's good sorry I missed putting in Joe's birthplace, it's there now.